25th to 27th October 1770






















[At Batavia]
25th. In the evening I sent the Admiralty Packet on board the Kronenburg, Captain Fredrick Kelger, Commodore, who, together with another Ship, sails immediately for the Cape, where she waits for the remainder of the Fleet.*

(* The following letter to the Secretary of the Admiralty (now in Public
Record Office) was also dispatched:--

"To Philip Stephens, Esq.

"Sir,

"Please to acquaint my Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty that I left
Rio de Janeiro the 8th of December, 1768, and on the 16th of January
following arrived in Success Bay in Straits La Maire, where we recruited
our Wood and Water; on the 21st of the same month we quitted Straits La
Maire, and arrived at George's Island on the 13th of April. In our
Passage to this Island I made a far more Westerly Track than any Ship had
ever done before; yet it was attended with no discovery until we arrived
within the Tropick, where we discovered several Islands. We met with as
Friendly a reception by the Natives of George's Island as I could wish,
and I took care to secure ourselves in such a manner as to put it out of
the power of the whole Island to drive us off. Some days preceeding the
3rd of June I sent Lieutenant Hicks to the Eastern part of this Island,
and Lieutenant Gore to York Island, with others of the Officers (Mr.
Green having furnished them with Instruments), to observe the Transit of
Venus, that we may have the better Chance of succeeding should the day
prove unfavourable; but in this We were so fortunate that the
observations were everywhere attended with every favourable Circumstance.
It was the 13th of July before I was ready to quitt this Island, after
which I spent near a month in exploring some other Islands which lay to
the Westward, before we steer'd to the Southward. On the 14th of August
we discovered a small Island laying in the Latitude of 22 degrees 27
minutes South, Longitude 150 degrees 47 minutes West. After quitting this
Island I steered to the South, inclining a little to the East, until we
arrived in the Latitude 40 degrees 12 minutes South, without seeing the
least signs of Land. After this I steer'd to the Westward, between the
Latitude of 30 and 40 degrees until the 6th of October, on which day we
discovered the East Coast of New Zeland, which I found to consist of 2
large Islands, extending from 34 to 48 degrees of South Latitude, both of
which I circumnavigated. On the 1st of April, 1770, I quitted New Zeland,
and steer'd to the Westward, until I fell in with the East Coast of New
Holland, in the Latitude of 30 degrees South. I coasted the shore of this
Country to the North, putting in at such places as I saw Convenient,
until we arrived in the Latitude of 15 degrees 45 minutes South, where,
on the night of the 10th of June, we struck upon a Reef of Rocks, were we
lay 23 Hours, and received some very considerable damage. This proved a
fatal stroke to the remainder of the Voyage, as we were obliged to take
shelter in the first Port we met with, were we were detain'd repairing
the damage we had sustain'd until the 4th of August, and after all put to
Sea with a leaky Ship, and afterwards coasted the Shore to the Northward
through the most dangerous Navigation that perhaps ever ship was in,
until the 22nd of same month, when, being in the Latitude of 10 degrees
30 minutes South, we found a Passage into the Indian Sea between the
Northern extremity of New Holland and New Guinea. After getting through
the Passage I stood for the Coast of New Guinea, which we made on the
29th; but as we found it absolutely necessary to heave the Ship down to
Stop her leaks before we proceeded home, I made no stay here, but quitted
this Coast on the 30th of September, and made the best of my way to
Batavia, where we Arrived on the 10th instant, and soon after obtained
leave of the Governor and Council to be hove down at Onrust, where we
have but just got alongside of the Wharf in order to take out our Stores,
etc.

"I send herewith a copy of my Journal, containing the Proceedings of the
whole Voyage, together with such Charts as I have had time to Copy, which
I judge will be sufficient for the present to illustrate said Journal. In
this Journal I have with undisguised truth and without gloss inserted the
whole Transactions of the Voyage, and made such remarks and have given
such discriptions of things as I thought was necessary in the best manner
I was Capable off. Altho' the discoverys made in this Voyage are not
great, yet I flatter myself they are such as may Merit the Attention of
their Lordships; and altho' I have failed in discovering the so much
talked of Southern Continent (which perhaps do not exist), and which I
myself had much at heart, yet I am confident that no part of the Failure
of such discovery can be laid to my charge. Had we been so fortunate not
to have run a shore much more would have been done in the latter part of
the Voyage than what was; but as it is, I presume this Voyage will be
found as compleat as any before made to the South Seas on the same
account. The plans I have drawn of the places I have been at were made
with all the Care and accuracy that time and Circumstances would admit
of. Thus far I am certain that the Latitude and Longitude of few parts of
the World are better settled than these. In this I was very much assisted
by Mr. Green, who let slip no one opportunity for making of Observations
for settling the Longitude during the whole Course of the Voyage; and the
many Valuable discoveries made by Mr. Banks and Dr. Solander in Natural
History, and other things useful to the learned world, cannot fail of
contributing very much to the Success of the Voyage. In justice to the
Officers and the whole Crew, I must say they have gone through the
fatigues and dangers of the whole Voyage with that cheerfulness and
Allertness that will always do Honour to British Seamen, and I have the
satisfaction to say that I have not lost one Man by sickness during the
whole Voyage. I hope that the repairs wanting to the Ship will not be so
great as to detain us any length of time. You may be assured that I shall
make no unnecessary delay either here or at any other place, but shall
make the best of my way home. I have the Honour to be with the greatest
respect,

"Sir,

"Your most Obedient Humble Servant,

"(Signed) JAMES COOK.

"Endeavour Bark,
at Onrust, near Batavia,
the 23rd of October, 1770."

26th. Set up the Ship's Tent for the reception of the Ship's Company, several of them begin to be taken ill, owing, as I suppose, to the extream hot weather.


[Heaving down at Batavia]
27th. Employed getting out Stores, Ballast, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment